Do you care about someone struggling with a substance use disorder/addiction?
When you complete the training session, our hope is that you will be able to confidently support individuals by:
- Understanding the complex nature of addiction as a disease and that substance use disorders often cannot be resolved by the individual simply choosing to stop.
- Confronting myths and stigma regarding addiction and recovery and how its negative impact deters individuals from seeking support
- Using empathetic language when a person chooses to honor you by disclosing that they are struggling with substance use.
- Being available to effectively listen and use tactful communication techniques to respond to those who express the need for support.
- Defining and understanding that recovery is a life-time journey with multiple pathways to achieving wellness in recovery.
- Knowing available recovery support resources that are on and off campus and how to access them.
Register for a session at https://studenthealth.uconn.edu/recovery/.
Anyone in the larger UConn Community is welcome!
For more information, contact: Sandy Valentine at email@example.com